London hospitals facing ‘tsunami’ of virus patients: NHS official

first_imgAccording to the latest figures, 463 people have died from the virus and more than 9,500 people have been infected. London makes up a third of the UK total.The government is opening a temporary 4,000-bed hospital at an exhibition center in London next week to treat patients with the virus. British media reported 10 similar facilities could be set up around the country.Hopson said the problem of dealing with the increased number of patients was exacerbated by the “unprecedented absence rate” of medical staff. “We’re now seeing 30, 40 and even some places 50 percent sickness rates,” he said, adding that there was also a “real problem” with ventilator capacity in hospitals. His comments came as the government announced it had ordered 10,000 emergency ventilators to help tackle the pandemic from billionaire entrepreneur James Dyson.In an email to staff, the inventor said his company designed the “CoVent” at the request of Prime Minister Boris Johnson, and promised to donate 5,000 to the international relief effort.Dyson said teams of engineers had been working on the design since receiving the call 10 days ago.”We have received an initial order of 10,000 units from the UK Government, which we will supply on an open-book basis,” he said.”We are also looking at ways of making it available internationally.”The company is now waiting for the design to receive regulatory approval so manufacturing can commence. Hospitals in the British capital are being overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients, the head of an organization representing bosses in the state-run National Health Service said on Thursday.The chief executive of NHS Providers, Chris Hopson, told BBC radio that London hospitals had seen an “explosion of demand… in seriously ill patients”, likening it to a “continuous tsunami”, with numbers predicted to surge in the next fortnight.”They talk about wave, after wave after wave,” he said. “The word that’s often used to me is a sort of continuous tsunami.”center_img Topics :last_img read more

Drogba hails Mane as new king of Africa

first_img Drogba has dubbed Liverpool and Senegal star as the “new King of continent football”. Loading… The Liverpool forward won the honour for the first time this year, taking it from team-mate Mohamed Salah.His goals have helped Liverpool to a Champions League title as well as a 15-point gap at the top of the Premier League.The Reds star has already been hailed by fans for his acceptance speech last night.Now Drogba, who won the title in 2006 and 2009, has become the latest to praise the forward.Read Also:Drogba responds to Abraham’s goal celebration against ArsenalThe man who scored 164 goals for the Blues shares a snap of Mane from the event.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Former Cote dÍvoire and Chelsea legend, Didier Drogba has hailed the new Africa Footballer of the Year 2019, Sadio Mane as King of Africa.Advertisement Promoted ContentBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Reasons It’s Better To Be A VeganThe Funniest Prankster Grandma And Her Grandson10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Mind-Boggling Facts About Black HolesMind-Bending Technology That Was Predicted Before It AppearedLaugh, Cry, Or Just Relax With The Best Series Streaming On HBO6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone10 Largest Cities In The WorldThe Highest Paid Football Players In The Worldlast_img read more

RC JV Basketball Tourney Rescheduled Times

first_imgThe Ripley County JV Tourney 1st round will be Saturday Morning.@Batesville10:00 Milan Boys vs Batesville Boys11:30 Milan Girls vs Batesville GirlsMilan will be visiting team for both games.@JCD10:00 South Ripley Boys vs JCD Boys11:30 South Ripley Girls vs JCD GirlsSouth Ripley will be visiting team for both games.2nd round will be Monday at JCD.6:00 Boys Winner of Location 1 vs Winner of Location 27:30 Girls Winner of Location 1 vs Winner of Location 2Winners from the Batesville location will be Visitors and winners from JCD location will be Home.last_img

Thiago Silva confirms Fiorentina talks

first_imgFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content8 Little-Known Facts About Ancient Egypt That Will Puzzle You6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A DroneBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made9 Fictional Universes We Wouldn’t Want To Live In10 Inventions That Make Us Question Humanity5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks7 Things That Actually Ruin Your PhoneWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Contemplate Life At These 10 Stargazing Locations10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By Odeith6 Things Women Found Really Attractive In The 60’sThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More Thiago Silva has not reached an agreement to join Fiorentina, although the veteran Brazil defender confirmed talks are ongoing with the Serie A club.The 35-year-old concluded a decorated spell at Paris Saint-Germain with an agonising 1-0 loss against Bayern Munich in Monday’s UEFA Champions League final.Silva has also been linked with a move to Chelsea, with the Premier League team reportedly putting a one-year deal on the table.Speaking to Sky Sport after the match, he detailed the prospect of a move to Florence.“I have not accepted any offers,” he said. “The news of an agreement reached with Fiorentina are not true.“My agent is speaking with Fiorentina as well as with other clubs.“I will make a decision in the coming days together with my family.” Loading… Read Also: Man City plotting to sign Messi without breaking FFP rulesSilva told RMC Sport he wishes to remain at the elite level for the next three or four years and has ambitions of captaining Brazil at the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.In Lisbon against Bayern, he made more clearances (six), attempted more passes (47) and completed more successful passes (38) than any other PSG player.last_img read more

Swim advisory to remain in effect for River Park Marina

first_imgHealth officials are reporting that the no swim advisory issued for River Park Marina-North Fork will remain in effect due to the continued high levels of bacteria found in the water.The Florida Department of Health says they have detected extremely high levels of enteric bacteria which is typically found in the intestinal tracts of both animals and humans in the water ways. Officials say the presence of enteric bacteria indicates that there is fecal pollution in the water.The advisory was initially put into effect on June 4th but health officials say the advisory will remain in effect until bacteria levels return to normal.The latest samples of water were collected on July 13th and another sample is set to be conducted on July 27th.Results from that sample will be available on July 3oth.last_img read more

Florida man tries to hire friend to kill woman

first_imgA Port St. Lucie man is now behind bars after he allegedly asked a friend to kill a woman in Miami.30-year-old Kellan West was arrested on September 11th after his friend showed police concerning text messages and voicemails West left on his phone about the alleged murder-for-hire plot.According to the report, West contacted his friend several times asking him to kill a woman they both knew and told the friend that he would pay him for it.West requested the murder look like an accident and for the friend to make sure it could not be traced back to him. West then went on to say that if the friend would not do it, he would do it himself.The friend told police that at first he believed West was joking but when he realized that West really planned to have the woman killed, he contacted the police and then contacted the woman.The friend said the woman was shocked to hear about the plan to have her killed but then informed him that West had been violent with her in the past.When authorities made contact with West at his home, he told them that the woman had been harassing him and that he sent the text and voice messages to his friend because he was depressed.West was arrested and charged with one count of solicitation to commit first-degree murder.He remains at the Martin County Jail without bond.last_img read more

Deer Isle-Stonington girls 1 win from perfect regular season

first_imgDEER ISLE — The Deer Isle-Stonington girls’ basketball team are within one win of finishing the regular season undefeated with after wins over Machias and Bangor Christian.Against Machias on Saturday, the Mariners posted what was a season-high 61 points at the time to come away with a 29-point home victory. Junior guard Lily Gray led the way for Deer Isle-Stonington with a game-high 15 points in the win over the 0-16 Bulldogs.Two days later, the Mariners surpassed that new season best with a 69-27 home win over Bangor Christian (3-11). Freshman Rylee Eaton led Deer Isle-Stonington with 14 points against the visiting Patriots, and Gray added 13 to help the team achieve its biggest margin of victory this year.Deer Isle-Stonington (15-0), which is ranked No. 3 in Class D North, will close out the regular season at home against Searsport at 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 5. The Mariners defeated Searsport (6-7) 47-34 when the teams met Dec. 11.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textlast_img read more

Cricket News Australian legends surprised with THIS player’s exclusion

first_imghighlights New Delhi: On Friday, the Australian Cricket Board named a 17-man squad for the five-Test series against England. Opening batsman Cameron Bancroft was on Friday included in Australia’s squad for a five-Test Ashes series against England alongside Steve Smith and David Warner. All three batsmen served lengthy bans for their roles in a ball-tampering scandal in South Africa last year.Former captain Smith and his then deputy Warner were both given 12-month suspensions by Cricket Australia, with Bancroft — who actually applied sandpaper to the ball while in the field during a Test in Cape Town — banned for nine months.Both Smith and Warner were expected to be in the Ashes squad after doing well in the recent World Cup, when the defending champions reached the semi-finals. Bancroft, who has been captaining English county side Durham, appears to have forced his way in after making an unbeaten 93 in the tourists’ intra-squad match at Southampton this week. Alex Carey’s omission from the Ashes sqaud was met with disbelief Saturday by former Australian greats Mark Waugh and Shane Warne, while Mark Taylor said he was surprised Joe Burns and Kurtis Patterson missed out.Matthew Wade also made the grade, having not played a Test for nearly two years, following recent outstanding form with the bat.He can act as back-up wicketkeeper to captain Tim Paine, as could Bancroft, which meant the fast-improving Carey, who starred for Australia at the recent World Cup, was controversially overlooked.”Got to be kidding me Alex Carey,” 128-Test veteran Waugh tweeted.”For me Alex missing the squad is the biggest shock particularly after his batting during the World Cup and being the second-best gloveman.” Spin king Warne was also stunned at Carey’s omission.”Very surprised/disappointed that Carey didn’t make the Aussie squad,” he said on Instagram in posting what he believes will be Australia’s team for the opening Test at Edgbaston.Warne has Bancroft opening with Warner and Wade coming in at number six, while opting for fast bowler James Pattinson instead of Mitchell Starc alongside Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins and Nathan Lyon.Former Australia captain Taylor said opener Burns and middle-order batsman Patterson missing out was tough to take given both made centuries in Australia’s last Test, against Sri Lanka.”I was disappointed Kurtis Patterson didn’t make the squad. You can’t help but feel a little bit sorry for both him and (Joe) Burns,” Taylor said.”They’re both coming off hundreds in their last Test matches.” Taylor said their omissions reflected the country’s current selection ethos.”It’s a sign of the times,” he said.”They (the selectors) are picking on recent form rather than their last Test matches, and I guess you could say that Bancroft, (Marnus) Labuschagne, and Wade won that battle of the batsmen.”Australia hold the Ashes but have not won a Test series away to England for 18 years.With the series taking place in the same season as a World Cup for the first time since 1975, next week’s first Test will be Australia’s opening first-class match of their tour. The Ashes between England and Australia will begin on August 1. Australia announced their 17-man squad on Friday. Mathew Wade returned to the Test squad after two years. center_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Roundup

first_imgThe following incidents were reported in the USC Dept. of Public Safety incident report summary between Thursday, March 22, and Friday, March 23. View Roundup 03-26 in a larger mapCrimes against a personAt 4:04 p.m. on March 22, a staff member at the Kenneth Norris Jr. Cancer Research Institute reported that during the past two weeks she has been the target of harassment by another staff member while driving a university tram.Crimes against propertyat 1:48 p.m. on March 23, a student reported that an unknown subject smashed a beer bottle against a wall of Delta Chi fraternity and it damaged the driver’s side taillight on his vehicle. The student subsequently learned that the bottle was thrown from a neighboring fraternity house and the vice president of that fraternity agreed to pay for the damage when contacted by DPS officers.At 4:09 P.m. on March 22, a suspect entered a classroom while a class was in session and removed wallets from two students’ purses.  The students followed the suspect, who dropped the wallets as she left the classroom. The suspect fled into another building and was detained by DPS officers who responded to the scene.  The students positively identified the suspect, who was arrested and transported to 77th station for booking.Miscellaneous incidentsAt 1:43 a.m. on March 23, DPS officers responded to a report of a suspect attempting to detach the front wheel from a bicycle secured to a rack outside Fluor Tower and detained him for investigation. The bike was registered to a student and, when the officers contacted her, she said no one had permission to remove it. The suspect was arrested and transported to 77th station for booking.at 12:24 A.m. on March 23, DPS officers responded to an intoxicated non-USC female who chipped two teeth and sustained a cut to her nose when she tripped and fell outside Sigma Chi fraternity. An LAFD RA unit was requested and Unit #10 responded.  The RA Unit examined the female and transported her to California Hospital for medical treatment.At 6:43 p.m. on March 22, DPS officers responded to a report of a non-USC male yelling at passing vehicles while standing in the middle of the street near 30th Street and Vermont Avenue. The officers detained the subject and found him to be intoxicated and unable to care for himself.  The male was arrested and transported to S/W station for booking.At 11:40 a.m. on March 22, a staff member in Parking Structure A reported that an emblem was missing from his department- issued hat.last_img read more

Sheffield just a game off Premier League return

first_imgSheffield Wednesday are 90-minutes away from a return to Wembley.A year on from their playoff final defeat, they welcome Huddersfield to Hillsborough with the sides scoreless after their semi final first leg.Reading await the winners on the 29th of May after a 1-nil win over Fulham last night gave Jaap Stam’s side a 2-1 aggregate victory.last_img